Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Days 29, 30, 31 & 32 - "Mommy - THAT is what you weigh? I didn't know the scale went that high!"

Somehow the days have escaped me and I find I have 4 days to blog about. . .I'd like to say I have been so busy working out that I haven't been near the computer, but that just would not be true.

Allie and I actually have picked up a new hobby - knitting on a loom!!  So fun and soooooo easy!!  And keeps my hands too busy for snacking!!


I have had a few fun food discoveries over the past few days - one is that Trader Joe's is just AWESOME for someone on WW.  So many great food options and such good point levels.  Some of my faves are the Cioppino (4 points per cup and 2 cups in the bag for $6); the Shrimp Stir Fry (4 points per cup) and the Chicken Stir Fry (5 points per cup); and the Curry Rice & Veggie Mix at 4 points per cup.  All of these are delicious and surprising filing for dinner with a big salad.  They also have a burrito that is only 6 points - but truthfully, the ones from Costco are much tastier and the same 6 points.  Yes, they are probably "better" for you at Trader Joe's, but I am all about the points and the taste and more preservatives or other "crap" is not going to effect the scale, so for now I prefer the Costco one.

Another fabulous discovery was the Solona Beach Salad at Chompie's. . .it was a fabulous salad with lots of fresh fruit, 2 ounces of chicken, 1 ounces of toasted almonds all on a bed of lettuce and the MOST delicious lowfat/low call yogurt dressing on the planet.  Really.  It was heavenly.  Tasted kind of like an Orange Julius. 

Oh yeah - another yummy snack discovery for 2 points are the 90 Calorie Fiber 1 bars (brownie, chocolate and peanut butter/chocolate).  I always care a zone bar in my purse for "emergencies" - I know my downfall is if I am out longer than planned and get HHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUNNGGRRRY - that is when trouble happens.  And while I do walk around with sliced apples and snap peas on a regular basis, sometimes I really need protein.  And while the Zone bar is great for protein, it is also pretty high in points at 5 points per bar.  While this Fiber One bar might not fill me up for as long - it is certainly more than enough to take the edge of and its very yummy and for 2 points, I think its a win-win.

On the exercise note, I bought a pedometer. .this one!  And let me tell you, while I never hit 10,000 steps since I began wearing it on Saturday, I was much closer on Saturday & Sunday (6832, 8302 on sun., 7409 on sat.).  The irony is that I did 10 minutes of Wii Fit (yeah, I know, not too long, but Allie walked in the room and wanted to do Just Dance with me) and then 40 minutes of Just Dance and I was so excited to start the day out with almost 3000 steps by 7:45am that I thought FOR SURE I would hit 10000 steps by the end of the day.  Yeah, no so much.  And today. . .it is 1:03pm and I am at  a whopping 894 steps. . .who knew I was so sedentary during the day? 

So, my personal challenge is to figure out how to get more steps in my day.  Even the workout in the morning is not going to take care of that, as demonstrated by yesterday.  Somehow, someway I need to figure out how to be more active the rest of the day.. .

My other new experiment is eating 1/2 grapefruit 30 minutes before each meal.  Why?  One of my fave magazines, Good Housekeeping, just had a blurb in it that said eating half a grapefruit before each meal or drinking a serving of the juice three times a day helped people drop more than three pounds over 12 weeks. The fruit's phytochemicals reduce insulin levels, a process that may force your body to convert calories into energy rather than flab.

So, my thought is that I like grapefruit and why not give it a try?  Grapefruits are no points and if it works, it didn't cost me anything and if it doesn't work, no harm done - right?

And finally, when we went to buy the pedometer at REI, the nice cute boy asked me if I wanted him to set it up for me. ..I jumped at his kindness and said yes.  Next thing I knew at the end of the counter he was asking me my weight. .MY WHAT????. . .really??? That isn't even on my driver's license accurately!  So I said "my what"?  Yes, I really said that.  I was stalling. ..not sure why - maybe I was wondering if I said 110 would he question it. . .So he said "your weight.?". ..So I just said it nonchalantly like it was no big deal. And to his credit, to him, it wasn't.  He inputted it and off we went.

The minute we get in the car Allie says, "1#0??? OMG, I didn't know scales went up that high.  . "  Its moments of truth like that, that often work better than any tank stop or size 8 jeans I could ever hang on my fridge would. . .

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up - my daughter is 23 now, but a couple of years ago she saw my drivers license and said "Mom, you don't weigh 175" and I said "It's my goal weight - someday I will!) And she said "You mean I didn't have to put MY REAL weight on MY license?" Bahahaha...

    ReplyDelete