Thursday, December 1, 2011

Days 19 & 20 - Who knew you could have too many bananas?

So, Tuesday went by uneventful (other than working up my dread for getting on the scale on Wednesday at my meeting). .. stayed within my points and knew I was finishing the week with 20 points left in my Weekly Points Allowance and 8 activity points that I had "earned" for exercising that I could "eat" if I wanted.  So, while on one hand I was dreading the weigh-in because my scale was not showing the love, on the other hand I kind of expected a weight loss because I ultimately did say on program, I didn't go over points and I even exercised 2 times that week!

So, come Wednesday morning I woke up starving.  I hemmed and hawed about eating because I didn't want it to cause a weight gain -I wanted to use every possible weight loss opportunity I had.  But really, I was soooo hungry!  So I had a healthy 5 point breakfast of a double fiber english muffin for 3 points and a Morning Star veggie sausage patty for 2 points.  I also drank 2 glasses of crystal light - I knew I would certainly pee before the weigh in, so I felt ok.

So, come time for the meeting and I timidly, but excited to hopefully get another sticker, step on the scale and BOOM, I see the look on the lady's face who is weighing me in...she glances up and says "really good week for Thanksgiving". I take my chart back and see I went up .2 pounds.  And like she has the power to change the scale I said "but, I didn't go off - I stayed within my points".  She simply shrugged, looked at me a bit sadly  and said there will be ups and downs and if I am on program it will equal out to a loss of 1-2 lbs per week.

Well, SHIT.  I didn't expect that news in only my 3rd week.  I mean as much as I was dreading the scale I was obviously expecting it to go down because I was sooooooooooooooooo disappointed.  As I said to a friend of mine, if you don't study for a test and you don't do well, you can only blame yourself and you might hope to do well, but can't really expect to do well.  But if you study really hard, it is fair to hope and expect you do well and if you do poorly on a test you studied for, it is so frustrating and disappointing.  Well, despite my challenging week that started off with an insane amount of points for a Chinese dinner, I worked hard the rest of the week staying on program and even exercising and I FRIGGEN GAINED .2.  Ok - I know, I know, if WW still had the old-fashioned doctor scales, you couldn't even see .2 and it would appear I maintained and not gained, but still - WHY DIDN'T I LOSE?  ANYTHING?  EVEN .2? LOL.. .

So after the meeting I stayed after a bit to chat with the leader and share my frustration and see what her thoughts were - did you really expect any less from me?

At first we decided that because I had eaten out dinner almost every night the previous week that my estimations for points were probably wrong.  I mean, I can't tell if there are 20 or 50 people at a party - maybe I can't tell if I am eating 3 ounces or 6 ounces of protein?


Then as we were talking more, she wanted to make sure I was getting my fruits and vegetables.  I said ABSOLUTELY, I know for sure I am there.  I eat at least 1-2 bananas a day, carry a bag of snap peas and apples with me that I snack on all day and eat grapes at home quite a bit too.  And while I didn't really think anyone was laughing AT me, the laughter erupted in the room (and before you wonder any more, no I am not constipated. ..just sayin'. . .that was everyone's question when they heard about the amount of bananas I was eating. .lol)..  The leader said that was my problem. She asked me how many I was eating a day and I said I had no clue because I wasn't tracking fruits and vegetables because they are FREE.  And there-in lies the problem -she said Free is not really free. . .its kinda sorta free, within reason.  Or at least the high sugar fruits and vegetables are not free - those I need to make sure to keep track of or I could be adding a few extra hundred calories (my bananas were by no means small - they were LARGE. . .and a large banana has 120 - 130 calories).

So, in the end the leader felt it was not my going out - it was probably my fruit consumption.  Really - I mean I go from too much chocolate to too many bananas?  Never thought bananas would keep me fat. . .

So, we made a plan that I would track my fruit and see where it leads me next week.  I suggested getting rid of the exercise because that was the ONLY truly new thing I did this week from the previous 2 weeks - makes sense to me - right?

Then as I walked to my car, 2 really nice ladies shared their thoughts with me. . .in the nicest way possible they told me to lighten up and accept that my body is going to fluctuate and know that if I stay on program I will lose over time.  Its just hard to hit that wall in week 3, that is all I am sayin'. . .

Chipotle.   I have never done WW with other people before and that has been soooo amazingly helpful to me.

I also find the helpful hints and cheers and support from everyone who reads my blog helpful and sooooooooooo appreciated. . .I just hope by next week we are cheering because there is less of me and not more of me.

2 comments:

  1. This might sound like a stupid question, but is there any accounting for fluctuations in womanly hormones (think monthly water retention)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa - totally not a stupid question at all. That is why they said there would be ups & downs...but then the way I figure it, one week you have your period, one week you are pms, one week you are ovulating - so only one week that your weight is "normal"? LOL.. .

    ReplyDelete